Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Crepes Bonaparte Food Truck!!

I'm a bit of a crepe snob. I'll admit it. I can't help it, though. I had a high school French teacher that actually made us learn how to make them (in class, I might add) and then she graded us on how they tasted and if they were thin enough! No kidding! So, when my food truck obsession became slightly heightened this afternoon, and I found out that the Crepes Bonaparte Truck was just a mere 10-minute drive to Santa Ana, CA today, I hopped in the car and cussed out every idiot on the I-5, just so I could taste the goodies on this truck.
If you live under a rock (or just don't watch the Food Network), Crepes Bonaparte has made quite a name for itself lately. It is one of the trucks on The Great Food Truck Race and haven't done too badly for themselves in the competition so far. Their menu consists of both Breakfast Crepes, Savory Crepes, Dessert Crepes, and Traditional Crepes (both savory and sweet). I have to admit that when I walked up to the truck, for whatever reason, I became a little overwhelmed by what to order. Seriously, everything sounded good. Well, and I was hungry.

So, after staring at the menu forever, I just asked the guy taking the orders what his favorites were. They were having a special (one savory crepe and one sweet crepe) for $8. He suggested the Caprese Crepe (chicken, mozzarella, tomato, and pesto) and the Fruity Dee-Lite Crepe (strawberries, bananas, and whipped cream). Right on, my friend! Bust those out!
Here's one of the thins I love about food trucks: gourmet food served to you in just around 5 minutes after ordering. Brilliant! They gave me my crepes and I actually took them back to my car, thinking I was going to take them home and enjoy them in them in the comfort of my air conditioned apartment. I opened the first container and thought I was crazy if I was going to wait another ten minutes to bust into that thing. I actually got out of my car, walked back to the food truck, and ate them both (well, half of each one) right there at the side of the truck. I think that made them happy. I know it made me happy!
This Caprese Crepe was the bomb! (I know it's not 1999 anymore, so I shouldn't be allowed to say that, but you know what I mean). I was surprised to see that it was shredded chicken, which was perfect in that crepe. I asked if the pesto was homemade (because it tasted like it was) and of course, it was. Very, very good!


Next: that fruit crepe. Umm.... I could have eaten about 5 of those damn things. SOOO good!!! The whipped cream on it was super rich and perfect with the tartness of the strawberries. As good as that crepe was, I was a little upset when I saw that I missed the Spicy Apple Bottoms Crepe, which is cooked cinnamon apples, caramel, and whipped cream. Next time, my friends. Next time.


So, here's the million dollar question for the self-proclaimed Crepe Snob: how was the actual crepe? The bread-y part? It was very good - not traditional in terms of the thin-ness of a French crepe - but very tasty. The savory crepe tasted like a regular crepe, but the sweet crepe tasted like it had cinnamon in the batter. All in all, I wasn't complaining. And, here's another thing I love about food trucks: they usually don't wuss out on the amount of food they give you. you asked for it, you get it! The portions were huge for the price of the crepe. And, let's not forget the taste!!
So if you happen to be near the Crepes Bonaparte Truck, check it out!! Oh, and if you love Nutella, you're in luck, they have giant jars lining the inside of the truck. Just in case they run out. Which I hope never happens while I'm in line. Bon appetite!!
http://crepesbonaparte.com/

1 comment:

  1. OMG...my mouth is totally watering. I need to find this truck right away and have them make me a nutella crepe....and maybe that strawberry one... YUM!

    ReplyDelete